1.22 Public Comment
To provide for full and open communication between the public and the Board of Trustees, the Board has established a Public Comment period during regular meetings of the Board of Trustees.
1.22.1 Rules for Public Comment
A designated time will be set aside on the Board of Trustees regular meeting agenda for public comments on items either posted on the agenda or not posted on the agenda. The following rules will apply to the public comment portion of the meeting:
1) Each person wishing to address the Board will enter his/her name and the topic to be addressed on the form available in the meeting room prior to the start of the Board meeting.
2) Each speaker will be limited to no more than three (3) minutes for his/her comments.
3) Individuals will be permitted to address the Board only once during the public comment period.
4) Students and College employees have certain rights of confidentiality under state and federal law that the College scrupulously protects. The Board reserves the right to limit comments to the extent allowed by law to protect confidentiality.
5) The Board will not provide a response at the time of a speaker’s presentation, but may ask questions or request clarification to ensure understanding of the speaker’s comments. The Board will take all comments under advisement. The Board president may make clarifying remarks at the end of the public comment session to address any misstatements of fact.
6) Any exceptions to the above Rules for Public Comment are subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.