Main Content

Steps to Apply for Financial Aid / One Stop Student Services 636-584-6588

(Federal Grants, State Grants, A+, Work-Study, Federal Loans, and Institutional Scholarships)


Please note that ALL items from EVERY step MUST BE completed before:

  • the student will be held in classes by the Financial Aid Office without a payment being made.
  • any financial aid is applied to the students account.
  • any bookstore waivers are issued.


Step 1: Make sure the registration office receives ALL of the following:

  • Application for Admission
  • Declaration of Academic Program form
  • Students must be pursuing a certificate or degree program to receive financial aid
  • Official High School transcript sent directly from the students high school OR
  • Official GED transcript from the state where the test was taken
  • Notarized transcript with completion date for any home-school program attended
  • Official college transcripts from ALL colleges previously attended sent directly from those institutions
  • Freshman assessment registration form


 Step 2: Apply for a PIN online at

  • One of the parents must also apply for a PIN if the student is a dependent *
  • The PINs will allow the student and parent to electronically sign the FAFSA
  • The PINs will be created in "real time" and available immediately. The applicant will have the options to: 1. Choose a personal PIN; 2. Have a system-generated PIN display on the Web page; 3. Receive a system-generated PIN by e-mail (PIN’s will not be mailed).
  • The PIN should not be shared with anyone and will be used each year for re-application.


Step 3: Fill out the FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Priority Date March 15th

  • For 2013/2014, the paper FAFSA can be obtained by calling (800) 4-FEDAID (800-433-3243), but we encourage the student to submit the FAFSA application on-line at ECCs Title IV school code is 008862
  • Remember the first F in FAFSA stands for Free! There is no cost to apply for federal student aid.
  • The student will need records of income earned from the prior tax year. You may also need records of your parent's income information if you are a dependent student*

*Definition of a dependent student (2013/2014) - Anyone who answers NO to all of the following:

  • Were you born before January 1, 1990?
  • As of today, are you married?
  • At the beginning of the 2013/2014 school year, will you be working on a masters or doctorate program?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2014?
  • When you were 13 or older, were both of your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent/ward of the court?
  • As of today, were you an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • As of today, were you in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2012, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  • At any time, on or after July 1, 2012, did the director of an emergency shelter program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2012, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?


Step 4: Return all required documents to the Financial Aid Office

In approximately 2-6 weeks the student will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) or student acknowledgement by mail or e-mail. This report may state that further information is required to process the application. Submit corrections to the application or documents requested to the Financial Aid Office.

If selected for verification, the student will be required to submit the following to the Financial Aid Office:

  • A copy of the students (and spouses, if married) federal tax transcripts (can be requested at and W-2s
  • A copy of the parent(s) federal tax transcript (can be requested at and W-2s if the student is a dependent*
  • Complete the 2013/2014 verification worksheet sent by the Financial Aid Office
  • Documents verifying Social Security benefits, TANF or other non-taxable income
  • If student, student’s spouse or student’s parent indicates on the FAFSA that they pay child support – then additional information is needed on the verification worksheet on who the funds are paid to; the names of the children the support is paid to benefit and the amounts paid per child during the 2012 year.
  • If student, student’s spouse or student’s parent indicates on the FAFSA that they receive food stamps, a printout to verify food stamp activity during 2011 and/or 2012 will be required.
  • Additional information may be required


Step 5: If a change needs to be made to the FAFSA after the SAR is received or verification is complete, an electronic correction will need to be made from the Financial Aid Office. (This can take 2 weeks and may change the students’ financial aid eligibility).


Information about Specific Programs



Requires an additional work study application (in addition to the FAFSA) and employment forms filled out. Job openings are posted outside the Financial Aid Office.


Student Loans

Student must make an in-person counseling appointment to speak with a loan counselor and fill out the appropriate paperwork (After steps 1-5 have been completed).  More information is available at


Institutional and Foundation Scholarships

  • All students automatically apply for ECC and Foundation scholarships by submitting the FAFSA & the application for admission by March 15th prior to the upcoming academic year.
  • In-coming freshman must submit their 7th semester high school transcript by March 15th to be considered for academic and other specific scholarships (This does not apply to those who have already graduated from high school).
  • Some scholarships require a separate application. For additional information and to find out about these scholarships visit 


A+ Program

  • Upon graduation from the student’s high school, request an official transcript to be sent directly to the registration office at ECC. Make sure the transcript sent has an A+ seal.
  • You are responsible for signing and returning the Highlights of A+ form to the Financial Aid Office before the A+ funding can be applied to your account. You are only required to submit this form one time. The form can be picked up at the Financial Aid Office or online.


VA Benefits

  • New students must do a one-time Application for Education Benefits through the VA.
  • Veterans should notify the school VA Certifying Official each semester they enroll.
  • Report any changes in enrollment or declared major to the VA Certifying Official.
  • If eligible, a student may be held in classes under the Chapter 33, Post - 9/11 GI Bill.
Go back to top