Main Content

New Student Procedures

Students with a High School Diploma, Home School Diploma or GED

Graduates of high schools with regional accreditation, graduates of home schools and those who hold a General Educational Development Certificate (GED) are eligible to enroll at East Central College. Graduates of high schools not accredited by a regional accrediting agency or appropriate state agency must follow the procedures for Students without a High School Diploma, Home School Diploma or GED. Questions regarding the acceptability of high school credentials should be directed to the Associate Registrar.

Students without a High School Diploma, Home School Diploma or GED

Applicants for admission who did not graduate from high school, home school or earn a GED certificate may be admitted on the following conditions: 1) the student must enroll in Adult Education and Literacy (AEL) classes to work toward a GED certificate the first semester a major field of study is declared, and 2) the student must complete a GED certificate or high school diploma and present evidence to Student Services before receiving a college degree or certificate. Students without a high school diploma, home school diploma, or GED who score at or above the federally established guidelines on an approved ability-to-benefit placement test may apply for financial aid.

Students with a Criminal Background

While it is the mission of the College to welcome students without discrimination, state and federal laws, school district policies, and off-campus site regulations prevent a student with a felony background from entering certain programs and attending classes at certain locations. Required internship or practicum courses conducted with outside organizations at external sites may also require drug or criminal background screening.

Applicants with felony backgrounds are required to provide, at their own expense, a certified criminal background check from the appropriate state or federal agency before their admission to the college can be finalized. Students who are arrested for any reason after they have been admitted are required to report the offense to the Vice President of Student Development within 72 hours.

Note: For more information, contact the Office of Student Development.


Steps for Student Admission

  1. Student submits an Application for Admission.

    Download the application from and email to, or fax it to 636-584-7347.

    • Students under age 17 are required to submit a Special Admissions form in addition to the Application for Admission. This form is available at:

      Note: Applications may also be mailed to: ECC Admissions, 1964 Prairie Dell Road, Union, MO 63084.
  2. Activate Online Student Services

    After applying for admission, students have access to eCentral online services. Students are sent a Personal Identification Number (PIN) which serves as a temporary password to allow access to grades, registration (with advisor approval), schedule changes, student email, degree audits, semester schedules, course information, unofficial transcripts, official transcript requests, account summaries, and online payments. After receiving the PIN, students must activate their account and reset their password. This login information will give students access to all online student services . Computers are available for student use at several campus locations.
  3. Placement testing is required. Contact Admissions at 636-584-6563 to learn more.
  4. Request transcript(s) –

    • High school graduates – To be considered for a college scholarship, students must submit a high school transcript at the end of the 7 th semester – no later than March 15. (An official/final high school transcript must also be submitted after graduation from high school.) Students should request that the high school from which they graduate send a final transcript to the Registrar.
    • GED graduates – Submit an official GED transcript to the Registrar. To request a free electronic transcript, visit
    • Home school graduates – Submit a notarized copy of a parent’s, guardian’s or external correspondence vendor’s home school high school final transcript to the Registrar.
    • Transfer students/graduates from other institutions - Request that each institution send a complete academic transcript to the Registrar. See also “Transfer In Credit Procedures.”

  5. Meet with an advisor to schedule classes – Students should contact the Advising Department to arrange a schedule of classes. An advisor will help set a schedule that conforms to the major field of study and ECC's graduation requirements and will assist the student in completing the “Declaration of Academic Program.” Online registration is available via eCentral with advisor approval.
  6. Payment of fees – Payment deadlines are published in the Academic Calendar and on the student’s billing statement. After this date, fees are due at time of registration. Checks and money orders should be made payable to East Central College. Payment may be made by Discover, VISA or MasterCard, or students may set up a payment plan by contacting the Cashier.
  7. Financial Aid and Scholarships

    • If interested in receiving any type of financial aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line at as soon as possible. ECC’s Title IV school code is 008862. Priority deadlines are May 1 for summer semester; July 1 for fall semester; and December 1 for spring semester.
    • If the FAFSA and high school transcript or GED scores are received by March 15, students will be given priority consideration for scholarship awards. Some scholarships also require an additional scholarship application by March 15. The scholarship application can be found at
    • Students who have questions about financial aid or scholarships should contact the Financial Aid Office.
  8. Photo I.D. - Students will be required to obtain a Student Photo I.D. by visiting Student Services on the Union campus or the office at ECC - Rolla. Some other form of photo identification (i.e. driver’s license) must be presented.
  9. Purchase Books - The Bookstore is located on the lower level of the Multipurpose Building in Union. Students taking classes in Rolla may purchase their books through University Book & Supply at 1107 North Pine, Rolla. The telephone number is 573-368-5558. Books and supplies can be purchased any time, but students will be expected to pay for the books when received. If financial aid benefits cover the cost of books, students will be allowed to pick them up after financial aid has been fully accepted. Typically, this occurs a few weeks prior to the start of the semester.
Go back to top