Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How many credit hours will make me a full-time student?

12 credit hours in the Fall and Spring semesters and 6 credit hours for Summer are considered full time. Anything less is considered part-time.

What are the dates of each semester? When is Spring Break?

All academic dates for each semester can be found in the Academic Calendar.

The academic calendar includes semester start and end dates, no-class dates, last date to withdraw, and other relevant campus information. On occasion, the college will update the official academic calendar; please check the website for the most current version.

Spring Break typically occurs in March.

When are tuition and fees due?

Tuition and fees are due approximately three weeks prior to the start of the semester. Check with the Student Service Center or Financial Services for exact dates.

I requested my official transcripts but they haven’t arrived yet, can I still register?

It is best to wait until your transcripts have arrived and are evaluated. If time is running short, unofficial transcripts may be brought to a meeting with an advisor to determine appropriate placement into classes.

Why haven’t my transcripts been evaluated?

Your transcripts will be evaluated after you have declared a major.

Where can I find course descriptions?

Click on Current Students. Hover over the Academics tab at the top of the page. Click on Course Catalog. There is also a link at the bottom of the ECC website to the class schedule.

What should I do if I don't know what major to choose?

Before registering for classes, a major must be declared. Declaring General Studies is a great place to start. If you are having trouble choosing a major, meeting with our Career Counselor will help you decide what is best for you and your future. You will need to schedule an appointment in advance by calling 636-584-6569.

What if I have a documented disability?

Students with a documented disability may contact the Access Services Department to determine if accommodations are appropriate for classes at ECC.  Students must make an appointment with an Access Counselor and submit documentation.

What's the difference between an AA or AAS degree and a certificate?

Students who plan to complete their general education courses at ECC and then transfer to a four-year college or university have several degree options: Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Fine Arts (AFA), Associate of Science (AS), and Associate of Arts in Teaching (AAT).

Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees and certificate programs enrich lives and strengthen the economy by preparing a workforce that is skilled, diverse, and flexible.  Certificate programs prepare students to work in a specialized trade or update their professional skills.  With this type of program, students complete a specialized form of training and are taught the technical knowledge of a specific field.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Students are encouraged to apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website: The priority deadline to apply for aid for ECC is July 1st for the Fall semester, December 1st for the Spring semester, and May 1st for the Summer semester.  Questions regarding financial aid should be directed to the Student Service call center at 636-584-6588.  Scholarships are also available.

What is the difference between an advisor and counselor?

Advisors specialize in matters pertaining to your educational program, including college policies, placement/assessment test interpretation, degree requirements, transfer of courses, schedule planning, and graduation checks.  ECC has general advisors and faculty advisors.

Counselors offer short-term professional counseling for students whose performance is hampered by personal, educational, or career concerns.  As needed, counselors will refer to community resources for further assistance.  Counseling is free of charge, individual, confidential, and solution-focused.

A Career Counselor is able to discuss and provide information to a student on topics such as career interest/skill/value exploration, resume/cover letter/interviewing assistance, online job board information (a student is able to post their resume or look for job/internship), labor market and wage information, and local job fair information.

What is a fact sheet (degree plan)?

A fact sheet is your guide for program course requirements.  Fact sheets for each academic pathway can be found at the Academics page. If you have questions about program requirements and when courses are offered, contact your advisor.

How do I declare a major?

Bring the Academic Program Declaration Form to a meeting with a general advisor.  Bring the same form to your advisor to change your major.

I am a new student, how do I sign up for classes?

New students, or students returning after taking time off, must meet with a general advisor.  ECC students are able to register themselves using their eCentral account.  You will need permission each semester to register online from your assigned advisor.  You may also meet with your assigned advisor to schedule your classes.

What should I bring with me when meeting with an advisor?

It would be helpful if you brought the fact sheet for your chosen program, your unofficial transcript (found on your eCentral account), and your program evaluation (found in your eCentral account).

What does it mean to audit a class?

A registration status that allows a student to attend a course for no college credit. The student pays full tuition and may be required to complete all regular coursework.

Who is my assigned advisor?

You were assigned an advisor when you declared your academic program.  The list of Faculty Advisor Contact information can be found here.

Log into your eCentral account and click on “My Profile” to find your assigned advisor.

Do I have to meet with my assigned advisor? Can't I just come to the SSC?

It is in your best interest to meet with your assigned advisor.

I can't get in touch with my faculty advisor, what should I do?

If you cannot reach your faculty advisor and have attempted to reach them via phone, email, and during posted office hours, you may be able to see a General Advisor at the Student Service Center.  During certain times of the year, faculty advisors may not be available.  You may be able to see a general advisor in the Student Service Center during these times.

Who is the best instructor for the class I want to take?

Every instructor has their own system and philosophy for teaching.  Students all learn differently.  An instructor that one person loves may not impress another student, so take opinions with a grain of salt.  Sometimes you have to find out for yourself what works best for you.  Instructor evaluations can be found on the class schedule by clicking on the instructor name, then clicking on “My Evaluations’.

How do I get a student ID? What's the cost?

All ECC students are required to have an ID.  Once you have registered for classes, you will be able to get a student ID.  The Student Service Center staff will take your photo and create your ID.  For questions, contact 636-584-6588.  IDs expire after 2 years from the issue date.  If you are a current student at ECC and your ID expires after 2 years, there is no charge to get a new ID.  If you lose your ID at any time, the cost is $10 to get a new ID.  Your ID is used to get textbooks, check out library materials, check in at the Learning Center and Testing Center, and many other things on campus.  Make sure you carry it with you at all times!

Classes have already started, can I register?

The late enrollment period begins after the first class meeting.  The late enrollment period is in effect through the end of the first week of a standard fall or spring class offering.  After the first day of class, there will be limited opportunities to register for a class.  You will need to fill out the Drop Add Slip or Registration Form.

The instructor for each class will need to sign off on adding you to the class. Once you have all instructor signatures, your advisor will need to sign the form and add your classes. After the late enrollment period, you will also need the VP of Student Development to sign off on adding a class. After a class has begun, advisors are unable to enroll you into the class without the instructor’s signature.

Why can't you put me in a class that is full?

Classes have seat limitations for multiple reasons.  Once classes begin, you will need an instructor signature to be added to a class that is full.  Some classes have a waitlist option (waitlists expire at midnight the day before the class begins).  If there is a waitlist, you may add yourself or meet with your advisor to add you to the waitlist.  Your options for getting on a waitlist are completing and submitting a Registration Form, or logging into your eCentral account.  Once in your eCentral account, click the Students tab, Click Register for Section, Click Express Registration, Enter the class synonym number, choose the term, and click submit.  In the Action box, choose waitlist, click submit.  If an opening occurs in the class, you will be registered in the class within 2 business days, and you will then be notified by the Registrar that you are enrolled.

Why can't you override that prerequisite?

Prerequisites are in place to ensure you are fully prepared to be successful in a class.  Advisors may not override a prerequisite, as this would be detrimental to your academic success at ECC.

Why do I have to take Foundation Seminar?

Foundation Seminar is a class that is required for every degree-seeking student to graduate.  This class will give you the opportunity to learn about what to expect in college, help you meet academic and social contacts, and learn information about resources that will help make you successful long-term.

Can I use my financial aid to pay for textbooks?

If you have a Pell Grant of Student Loan, you can use any leftover money after classes are paid for to pay for textbooks.  It will take 48 business hours after you register for classes for the money to be available to use in the campus bookstore.

I'm having trouble in class, what are my resources?

The Learning Center is a great resource for students.  Check the website for tutoring information and online resources.

The Learning Center also houses study group rooms that can be reserved to study in a group setting with your classmates.

Speaking to a Counselor is also an option if you are struggling in class.  Contact the Student Service Center at 636-584-6588 to schedule an appointment.

How do I drop a class? What are the consequences of dropping a class?

You may drop a class online or in-person until the semester start date.  After midnight on the start date of the semester, an advisor’s signature is required on a Drop Add Slip. No classes may be dropped after the drop date (normally week 12 of the semester).

What should I do if I've been dropped from classes before they begin?

You can re-enroll in classes if there are still seats available.  Meet with an advisor or check on the class schedule for course availability.  Fees will be due at the time of registration.

How do I find out if a class transfers to another college or university?

The Transfer website provides a lot of helpful information if you are planning to transfer credits to another institution.  Click here for a list of Missouri schools.  The website also lists steps for transferring, transfer scholarships, and a calendar of events for transfer visits.  You can also schedule an appointment with our Transfer Advisor by calling 636-584-6587 to schedule an appointment.

How do I apply for graduation?

Once your Graduation Application is submitted, you will receive communication from the Registrar stating your application status.  The Registrar will inform you which program requirements you must meet to graduate.  If waivers or class substitutions are required,  you must address this information with your assigned advisor. It is best to complete the graduation application when enrolling in your final semester of classes.

I'm confused about my assignments in Moodle. How do I make sure I don't miss assignments?

If you are confused about the syllabus or course requirements for an online class, first contact your instructor.  If you have questions about using Canvas, visit the Canvas Student Resources.