When should I apply for admission to my transfer school?

In most cases, you can apply up to a year in advance of when you wish to enroll.  Your transfer school will use your official transcripts to determine acceptance.  If you have not completed 24 transferable credit hours, the school may also request your high school transcripts and ACT scores.  Check your transfer school’s website for application deadlines.

Will my classes transfer?

The short answer:  yes, usually.  It depends on the transfer institution, your major at the transfer school, your grade in the class, and whether you have a degree or not.  Each institution handles transfer differently, so do your research.

Should I get the Associate of Arts (AA) degree?

The short answer:  yes, usually.  Generally speaking, if you earn the AA degree, your general education courses should transfer as a block, meaning you have met the general education requirements at your transfer school.  If you transfer without the AA degree, the transfer school will evaluate each class independently.  Sometimes you can get scholarship money for having the AA degree.  Every institution is different, so do your research.

Should I get an AA degree or Associate of Applied Science degree (AAS)?

The AAS degree is not intended for transfer.  If you plan on transferring, the AA degree or 42 hour block is usually the best way to go.  If your plan is to graduate and go into the workforce, the AAS degree is most likely the right choice since it is designed with career preparedness in mind.

What is the 42 hour General Education Block?

The 42 hour block is the general education core classes. Basically, it is the AA degree with no electives.  Some schools will accept this in lieu of the degree as having met the general education requirements.  Please check with your transfer institution to determine if this will be accepted.  You can request to have this stamped on your transcript, if applicable.

How can I be sure I am taking the right classes?

You need to establish a dialogue with your transfer school.  Many times this is done though the department into which you want to transfer.  Also, many schools have transfer guides and/or course equivalencies listed on their website.  Do your research!

What if I am unsure of where I want to transfer?

Start researching transfer schools.  If you find a school that interests you, schedule a visit.   You can often set up a meeting with the department you are interested in, so take a copy of your transcript with you.  Compare degree requirements at different schools and take the courses they have in common.  The sooner you make your decision of where to transfer, the better use of your time and money you can make while at ECC.

When should I send my official transcripts?

You will send official transcripts from every institution you have received college credit when you apply for admission to your transfer school.  You will send a final transcript when you have completed your coursework at ECC.  You can request to have the transcript sent once grades are posted or degree is posted, whichever is appropriate for your situation.

Do I need to complete the FAFSA?

Yes!  You should complete the FAFSA every year.  (Tax season is FAFSA season!) If you are transferring mid-year, you will need to go into your FAFSA account and change the school code to your transfer school.


First, complete the FAFSA.  It is the gateway to all financial aid, work study, scholarships and loans. Then, take a look at the financial aid office website at your transfer school for scholarship applications.

Scholarships your transfer school might offer:

  • Phi Theta Kappa
  • Departmental scholarships
  • GPA based transfer scholarships
  • Scholarships based on attaining an AA degree
  • Athletic scholarships

This is just a partial list of scholarship opportunities.  You can also search the internet for scholarships related to your major. Do your research, keep your grades up, and apply!