What is placement testing used for?
At East Central College, we use multiple measures to assess students and advise them into the appropriate classes. If you are required to test, you will be assessed on reading, writing, and mathematics. This assessment is not pass/fail, and will not prohibit you from enrolling into coursework at ECC.
Who needs to take a placement test?
All students are required to complete an assessment of Reading, Writing, and Mathematics for placement into appropriate coursework, or provide documentation that demonstrates an equivalent through a combination of options, including:
- If you have taken a standardized test (ACT/SAT/Accuplacer) within the past four years. Previous ACT test scores must meet the following minimums:
- English 18, Reading 18 and Math 22
- If you have completed previous college credit somewhere other than at ECC, submit your transcripts to the Admissions Office for evaluation
- If you have graduated from high school in the past four years with the following:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5-2.99 and a completion of a departmental exam
When can I test?
The test can take anywhere from 1-4 hours to complete but is not timed, so please plan accordingly. The test will not be offered on days that the College is closed for a holiday or due to inclement weather. Please visit the ECC website for information on campus closures.
Where can I test?
The test is offered at our Rolla and Union campuses. For special holidays and college closures please visit the homepage.
- Rolla: To schedule an appointment call Rachael Karr at 573.466.4078.
- Union: Regular walk-in testing is available on Monday-Thursday 8:00am-4:30pm, and on Friday’s from 8:00am-12:00pm.
How much does the test cost?
- The Initial test is free to all incoming ECC students.
- Retake fees are: $5.00 per section, and should be completed no sooner than 24 hours after the initial test.
- Students attending another institution
- If you are a student who does not plan to attend ECC, but would like to complete placement testing on one of our campuses for another institution, there is a $20.00 proctoring fee to do so.
What do I need to bring to the test?
Please arrive early and bring a current, government-issued, photo ID.
Need some review?
The Learning Center offers Accuplacer Test Prep sessions that utilize sample test questions and will provide you with helpful tips to help you prepare. Students are encouraged to attend a test preparation session offered in the Learning Center, between tests to maximize their scores. As an extra incentive, students who attend a review session will have their $5.00 retake fee waived. These sessions are offered on a group or individual sessions, call 636.584.6688 to learn more. Additional study materials are available online through the Learning Center webpage.
What do I do after I complete placement testing?
After you complete placement testing, and have submitted all required enrollment documentation, you are ready to meet with an academic advisor who will sit down with you to create an academic schedule that starts you on the path to completing your goals, and ultimately graduating.
Have more questions or need to register for a test?
Please contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 636.584.6588.