4.18 Electronic Signatures
East Central College is committed to a secure digital environment in which the College is compliant with federal, state, and local laws and policies. To increase the efficiency and effectiveness of College operations that require signatures, the College may accept electronic signatures.
Procedures (Adopted 12-5-2022)
4.18.1 Acceptable Forms of Electronic Signature
The College will accept the following forms of electronic signature to conduct business:
- A handwritten signature on a scanned or otherwise digitally captured document from a verifiable source.
- A graphic image of a signature placed on a document (scanned or electronically generated) using secure software that verifies the identity of the signature user.
- Marks, initials, checkboxes, or any similar attestation provided through an online form or Workflow that (a) is accessible only after authenticating into a secure online environment owned or managed by the College and (b) is tied to the signer’s specific network credentials, including an e-mail from an employee’s official College e-mail address.
- In the case of a student’s consent for disclosure of their education records and/or consent to participate in an educational/college-based opportunity, an e-mail from the student’s official College e-mail address, consent provided through a College-owned or managed portal, or any paper or online form that complies with the above criteria.
4.18.2 Unacceptable Forms of Electronic Signature
The College will not accept the following forms of electronic signature for internal documents or documents required by a College process:
- A graphic image of a signature placed on a document without a separate verifiable intent to sign. For example, an e-mail from a non-official East Central College e-mail address along with the signed document. An e-mail that does not come from an official East Central College e-mail address would not be considered verifiable intent.
- A typewritten name that has not been verified by secure software’s signature verification.
- In the case of a student’s consent for disclosure of their education records and/or consent to participate in an educational/college-based opportunity, an e-mail from an e-mail address other than the student’s official East Central College e-mail address, text message communication from any phone number, social media communication, or any other unauthenticated communication.
4.18.3 Use of Third-Party Software System for Electronic Signatures
If the College uses a third-party software system to electronically sign documents, the College shall ensure that backup copies of the electronically signed documents are maintained by the College on storage devices under the College’s control.