1.6 Officers and Staff of the Board of Trustees
(Adopted 12-3-1968; Reaffirmed 12-2-1991; Revised 2-4-2002, 3-8-2021)
The Board of Trustees shall select members and other personnel to serve as officers and staff. The Board officers shall serve in their positions until the first meeting of the Board following an election held by the College District unless replaced by a majority vote of the whole Board.
Procedures (Revised 3-8-2021)
The officers of the Board of Trustees shall be a president, a vice president, a secretary, and a treasurer who shall be members of the Board, and a recording secretary, who need not be a member of the Board.
1.6.2 Officers – When Elected
Officers shall be elected at the first meeting of the Board following elections held by the College District in each even numbered year. In the case of a vacancy in any office, such vacancy shall be filled as soon as practicable by electing a successor to the unexpired term of office.
1.6.3 Election – How Conducted
The election of all officers may be by secret ballot and shall be held at a regular meeting or at a special meeting of the Board held for that purpose.
1.6.4 Term of Office
Each officer of the Board shall be elected for a term of two (2) years, shall assume office immediately upon election, and shall hold office until their successor shall be elected and qualified by a majority vote of the whole Board.
1.6.5 Duties of the Officers and Staff
The duties of the President shall be, specifically:
- To preside at all meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- To appoint or provide for the election of all committees.
- To call special meetings as required.
- To perform such other duties as may be prescribed by law for action of the Board of Trustees.
- To sign checks and conduct financial transactions in the absence of the treasurer.
The duties of the Vice President shall be, specifically:
- In the case of the resignation, absence or other disability of the President, to perform all of the duties of the President.
- To perform such other and further duties as shall from time to time be assigned to him/her by the President of the Board of Trustees.
The duties of the Secretary shall be, specifically:
- To sign documents, contracts, and other instruments on which the signature of the secretary is required or appropriate.
The duties of the Treasurer shall be, specifically:
- To keep or cause to be kept complete records of the financial transactions of the College District, to sign or cause to be signed all checks, and to report or cause to be reported the financial status of the College District.
- Such other duties as are imposed on the Treasurer under the Laws of Missouri.
- May be appointed by the Board of Trustees and may or may not be a member of the Board. Any compensation for serving as Recording Secretary shall be fixed by the Board of Trustees.
- The duties of the Recording Secretary shall be, specifically:
- to be the custodian of the official seal of the College,
- to prepare and post Board of Trustees meeting agendas,
- to post notices of Board of Trustees meetings,
- to attend meetings of the Board of Trustees and to prepare a transcript of the proceedings,
- to be the official custodian of Board proceedings and records,
- and at the direction of the Board of Trustees to sign all legal documents in the absence of the Secretary of the Board of Trustees.