“When there are enough books available that can act as both mirrors and windows for all our children, they will see that we can celebrate both our differences and our similarities, because together they are what make us all human.” – Rudine Sims Bishop, “Mirrors, Windows, and Sliding Glass Doors”
Our Motto: You have a story. I have a story. Let’s listen. Let’s talk.
Stories Matter promotes the use and creation of stories as ways for all people to understand themselves and others, both as unique and as members of a common community. Through reading, listening, sharing, and discussing one another’s stories, we build empathy and create a more inclusive and welcoming community in our ever-changing diverse and multicultural society.
- Encourage multicultural empathy-building through storytelling and discussion.
- Provide key community institutions and centers with a rich basic collection of literature that provides mirrors and windows for readers.
- Empower parents and educators to engage in meaningful conversations while preparing children to be empathetic citizens in a diverse and multicultural society.
- Foster awareness, acceptance, and appreciation for diverse and intersectional identities, including race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomic class, ability.
- Build relationships in order to develop and sustain inclusive and welcoming communities.