Frequently Asked Questions

What classes can/should I take?

  • You can take any classes for which you meet the course prerequisites, which may or may not include placement testing. An advisor will work with you to choose classes that match your college and career aspirations. A great place to start is with our Core 42 courses.
  • Please review our current Course Schedule. Click Search for Courses from the left menu.
  • Dual credit courses may also be available at your high school. Visit our Partner Schools page for a list of courses by school.

What is Core 42?

  • The completion of the CORE 42 at any public institution of higher education will transfer to every other public institution of higher education in the state and substitute for the receiving institution’s general education requirement. Individual courses that comprise the CORE 42 are guaranteed to transfer one-to-one among all public (and participating independent) colleges and universities in Missouri. Visit Missouri Higher Education Core Transfer Curriculum for more information.

What is the cost of Early College courses?

  • Early College students pay half of the in-district tuition rate. Click Tuition & Fees for current information.
  • Dual credit students – taught by high school faculty – may have additional course-specific fees. They do not pay general fees.
  • Dual enrollment students – take classes on campus or online. They do pay general fees and course-specific fees.

What books and/or other course materials will I need?

  • Dual Credit students may need to purchase course materials, if not already provided by the high school. Students should check with their high school instructor for details.
  • Dual Enrollment students will need to purchase their own course materials.
  • Information about course materials is available from our Bookstore.

Is financial aid available?

  • Financial aid and scholarships are not available for Early College students while still in high school. Once students graduate high school, they may be eligible for financial aid.

Will Dual Credit/Enrollment have a long-term effect on my financial aid eligibility?

  • Failing or withdrawing from a dual credit or dual enrollment class may have an impact on your future financial aid eligibility at East Central College. If you plan to attend ECC after high school graduation, you will be held accountable to Financial Aid’s Satisfactory Academic Progress policy. For more detailed information, please refer to ECC Financial Aid.

How will Dual Credit / Enrollment affect my A+ eligibility?

  • Dual Credit / Enrollment grades could affect your cumulative grade point average (CGPA). A+ requires a CGPA of 2.0 the initial fall semester after high school and then a CGPA of 2.5 after that. The dual credit grades will be in that calculation that is used to determine eligibility.

What effect do P grades (Pass Grades) have on grade point average (GPA) and Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

  • Ps are handled per ECC policy as a C (2.0).

How many classes can I take?

  • Please check with your high school counselor.

Can my parents or someone else call to get information on my behalf?

  • If a student is attending a postsecondary institution – at any age – the rights under the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) have transferred to you –  the student.  However, in a situation where a student is enrolled in both a high school and a postsecondary institution, the two schools may exchange information on you.  If you would like to give ECC permission to talk with someone else about your academic and financial records, you will need to complete a FERPA Release of Information Form.

Will I get college and high school credit for my college course?

  • The high school determines if you will receive high school credit for the college course taken through ECC. Check with your high school counselor or principal before enrolling.

My high school is off for the day. Do I need still to attend my ECC class?

  • If you normally attend class at your high school, you wouldn’t be able to attend your class (dual credit). However, if you’re taking a course at East Central College (dual enrollment), then you’re required to follow ECC’s academic calendar. Therefore, you must attend class, unless ECC has a holiday or is closed.

What do I do if I’m sick or can’t get to class?

  • You should refer to your course syllabus for your instructor’s attendance policy. You should also email or call your instructor to let him or her know that you won’t be attending and to find out how to make up the work.

Do I receive a midterm grade?

  • You will only receive a midterm grade if you are earning a ‘D’ or ‘F’ at the time of midterm. The purpose of a midterm grade is to let you know how you’re doing in a class so that you can work to bring your grade up before final grades are assigned.

What’s the difference between a drop and a withdrawal?

  • You have until the 10th day of the semester to drop a class for a tuition refund. A dropped class will not show up on your transcript. A withdrawal is a safeguard if you are at risk of failing a course. You can withdraw up until the 10th week of the semester, and you will receive a ‘W’ grade. The ‘W’ is not factored into your GPA, but it will become a part of your official transcript and may impact your financial aid eligibility.

I was dropped for lack of tuition payment. Now what?

  • If there are seats open in the course(s) you were enrolled in, we can re-enroll you. Contact the Early College Programs office at

What do I need to do to withdraw from an Early College course?